Last weekend we had another typhoon! It has been quite an active season for typhoons here in Okinawa. From what we have heard it is much more active than a typical season. Last Saturday we had Typhoon Jelawat blow around most of the day. It ended up being one of the strongest typhoons experienced here in a long time! The storm started at the southern part of the island and went all the way up the island leaving flooding, trees uprooted, houses and walls in shambles, cars blowing around and power outages in its wake. The following link shows a car that was blown away from its parking space on one of the bases on island. http://youtu.be/7eny9s9m2SA
We survived the storm with some slight damage done to our roof, water damage to the ceiling, and our power out for a total of 58 hours. Some of the damage has already been fixed, but some of it is still a work in progress. Today I had three Japanese men standing in my living room after fixing one of our issues and they were just chatting away in Japanese while I sat there completely oblivious. Then they started laughing and I began wondering what they were talking about. It is a strange sensation sitting in ones own house and not being able to understand what people are saying. :)
We are having beautiful weather now that is just starting to have a touch of fall in it. The mornings and evenings are beautiful and in the 70s. Some of the trees have all of their leaves gone now, but that is probably due more to typhoons than the actual changing of seasons. The colors really haven't changed at all, but I've heard it does so more on mainland Japan than here in Oki. I'll try and get some more pictures up soon!
We survived the storm with some slight damage done to our roof, water damage to the ceiling, and our power out for a total of 58 hours. Some of the damage has already been fixed, but some of it is still a work in progress. Today I had three Japanese men standing in my living room after fixing one of our issues and they were just chatting away in Japanese while I sat there completely oblivious. Then they started laughing and I began wondering what they were talking about. It is a strange sensation sitting in ones own house and not being able to understand what people are saying. :)
We are having beautiful weather now that is just starting to have a touch of fall in it. The mornings and evenings are beautiful and in the 70s. Some of the trees have all of their leaves gone now, but that is probably due more to typhoons than the actual changing of seasons. The colors really haven't changed at all, but I've heard it does so more on mainland Japan than here in Oki. I'll try and get some more pictures up soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment