This Thanksgiving will probably be the most unique so far of our marriage. It is only our 3rd, but still... :) This year we aren't with family, but we do have some special folks that we are having over to share it with us.
Thursday we will be having around 10-11 Marines (almost all of them single and the rest unaccompanied) over to our house. I'm excited for the opportunity to serve some guys who don't have family here. I feel privileged to be with my hubby here in Japan and I can't imagine what it would be like to be without anyone that you call family. We'll have LOTS of turkey, stuffin' and pie over at our place for a good ol' American Thanksgiving!
I am thankful for so much this year! It would take a long time to share with you what all is on my heart, but I'll take just a moment to share with you just a few of the people that have made my life sweeter and better than I ever could have imagined.
Family:
*Mom Brown - The woman whose strength and joy are an example to me
*Dad & Mom Schmid - The in-laws that I couldn't have handpicked better for myself
*Grandma Pashby - The sweet, loving grandmother that I have memories of from when I was very young
*Grandpa & Grandma Schmid - The wonderful grandparents-in-law that have made me feel as if I am one of their own grandchildren.
*Grandma Price - One of the first people I met after dating Ben and who opened her home to us in the middle of a snowy night so we could get to Canada and I could meet Ben's parents. :)
*4 Brothers - I couldn't have made it through life without these guys
*2 Sisters - Sweet, sweet sisters who are always there for me
*2 Sisters-in-Law - Who needs the 'in-law' part when they are practically family? I love these girls!
*1 Brother-in-Law - Well, Caleb...you're a swell guy. :)
*2 Nieces - Abby & Adi: I can't wait to meet Adi, but I love the conversations I have with both of these girls on Skype!
*2 Nephews - Thomas & Tommy: I love your unique personalities and I can't wait to play with you both!
*1 Unknown Nephew/Niece - I can't wait to meet you, little MacGill!! :D
Those who have passed away:
*Dad Brown - I sure do miss my Dad...especially around holidays. He was such a hardworking man and a lover of his family. I wish he could have met Ben and been around for some of the wonderful things that have happened over the last several years, but I'm so glad he is pain free in Heaven with Jesus!
*Lil' Squirt - You never truly understand the relationship between a parent and child until you have one. I'm amazed at how my heart can swell with love for someone I never met on this earth. Thank you, Lord, for taking care of our little one!
*Grandpa Pashby - There are so many things that I remember and love about Grandpa Pashby! McDonalds for breakfast when he worked there; toys at Christmas time; oranges (some of you know exactly what I mean!); his whistle and his wonderful jokes. Love him and miss him!
*Grandpa & Grandma Brown - I'm thankful that I at least got to know my Grandpa some before he passed away and I'm so thankful for the fact that their son was my dad!
*Grandpa Price - I did not know him personally, but I have heard about him so much from Ben that I wish I had. I know he is greatly missed by his wife, children and grandchildren.
I am THANKFUL!
Thursday we will be having around 10-11 Marines (almost all of them single and the rest unaccompanied) over to our house. I'm excited for the opportunity to serve some guys who don't have family here. I feel privileged to be with my hubby here in Japan and I can't imagine what it would be like to be without anyone that you call family. We'll have LOTS of turkey, stuffin' and pie over at our place for a good ol' American Thanksgiving!
I am thankful for so much this year! It would take a long time to share with you what all is on my heart, but I'll take just a moment to share with you just a few of the people that have made my life sweeter and better than I ever could have imagined.
Family:
*Mom Brown - The woman whose strength and joy are an example to me
*Dad & Mom Schmid - The in-laws that I couldn't have handpicked better for myself
*Grandma Pashby - The sweet, loving grandmother that I have memories of from when I was very young
*Grandpa & Grandma Schmid - The wonderful grandparents-in-law that have made me feel as if I am one of their own grandchildren.
*Grandma Price - One of the first people I met after dating Ben and who opened her home to us in the middle of a snowy night so we could get to Canada and I could meet Ben's parents. :)
*4 Brothers - I couldn't have made it through life without these guys
*2 Sisters - Sweet, sweet sisters who are always there for me
*2 Sisters-in-Law - Who needs the 'in-law' part when they are practically family? I love these girls!
*1 Brother-in-Law - Well, Caleb...you're a swell guy. :)
*2 Nieces - Abby & Adi: I can't wait to meet Adi, but I love the conversations I have with both of these girls on Skype!
*2 Nephews - Thomas & Tommy: I love your unique personalities and I can't wait to play with you both!
*1 Unknown Nephew/Niece - I can't wait to meet you, little MacGill!! :D
Those who have passed away:
*Dad Brown - I sure do miss my Dad...especially around holidays. He was such a hardworking man and a lover of his family. I wish he could have met Ben and been around for some of the wonderful things that have happened over the last several years, but I'm so glad he is pain free in Heaven with Jesus!
*Lil' Squirt - You never truly understand the relationship between a parent and child until you have one. I'm amazed at how my heart can swell with love for someone I never met on this earth. Thank you, Lord, for taking care of our little one!
*Grandpa Pashby - There are so many things that I remember and love about Grandpa Pashby! McDonalds for breakfast when he worked there; toys at Christmas time; oranges (some of you know exactly what I mean!); his whistle and his wonderful jokes. Love him and miss him!
*Grandpa & Grandma Brown - I'm thankful that I at least got to know my Grandpa some before he passed away and I'm so thankful for the fact that their son was my dad!
*Grandpa Price - I did not know him personally, but I have heard about him so much from Ben that I wish I had. I know he is greatly missed by his wife, children and grandchildren.
I am THANKFUL!
Ditto to everything you said, Elissa! But I have my own list (mentally) and I can't imagine life without you being part of our family. We miss you so much, but we thank God for giving you the husband he has. You two have an opportunity to be salt and light there in Okinawa as you serve our country.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you both, and may you have a most blessed Thanksgiving!! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Love and hugs,
Mom B.
I love this post. And I love you so much!
ReplyDeleteEsther
Aw, thanks! I'm so glad you're my sister! You're an answer to my prayers! :-) (By "3 sisters", are you counting yourself?) Great post, sis. Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteHaha! Emily, I didn't even realize that I said "3 sisters"! Yep, I sure am thankful for me. Haha! :D Thanks Mom and Esther...I'm so thankful for all of you!
ReplyDelete