On Friday the 13th we moved into our new home!! We drove from our hotel and arrived right when our first delivery came. Our express shipment was delivered first with them parking their truck in the street and hauling the boxes over our surrounding wall and through our bedroom window. :) Our 'lane' is a bit tight for them to pull in and our driveway would have been most interesting for them to use.
While they were unpacking our boxes of goods we got our second shipment! Government furniture arrived and it was much better than I thought. We got the basic things that we wouldn't have for a while (couch, kitchen table and chairs, dresser, etc.). It looks like a nice home already.
After we got all of our furniture and we started organizing our things we had the internet company come and set up our wireless. Then the gas company came and got that all squared away. It was a busy, busy day! It was a relief to have everything delivered and done by around lunch time. Later in the afternoon I went to buy some curtains for our house.
I went with some new friends and we hit up a store called Nitori. It sells furniture, home goods, curtains, etc. One thing that is different with buying curtains here is that they are much more expensive than they are in the States. We have two rooms that have an 'english rod' so that I can use American style curtains on them. That will be easier in some ways, but I may have to have them made or order online to get those. Our stores on base don't have much of a selection.
The Japanese curtains have little hooks that connect to the curtains differently than our typical curtains. We have a LOT of windows in our house so I am going to have to get curtains for 9 different window sets. Several of those have more than one window and the need to get two curtain panels for that set. To give you an idea on price I bought one package of curtains (two panels in it) for around $60 dollars. I basically spent around $300 on just curtains. Not something I would do in the States! This is just one of those cultural adjustments that I'm having to get used to.
After Ben got back from working for a few hours we went out again and got some groceries and basics. One of those basics was a grill. We were very much looking forward to grilling again!! Today has been a pretty relaxing day with just putting things away and cleaning up the house. Monday will be my first real day of having Ben at work and my being at the house handling things. It is exciting and a bit nerve wracking at the same time!
While they were unpacking our boxes of goods we got our second shipment! Government furniture arrived and it was much better than I thought. We got the basic things that we wouldn't have for a while (couch, kitchen table and chairs, dresser, etc.). It looks like a nice home already.
After we got all of our furniture and we started organizing our things we had the internet company come and set up our wireless. Then the gas company came and got that all squared away. It was a busy, busy day! It was a relief to have everything delivered and done by around lunch time. Later in the afternoon I went to buy some curtains for our house.
I went with some new friends and we hit up a store called Nitori. It sells furniture, home goods, curtains, etc. One thing that is different with buying curtains here is that they are much more expensive than they are in the States. We have two rooms that have an 'english rod' so that I can use American style curtains on them. That will be easier in some ways, but I may have to have them made or order online to get those. Our stores on base don't have much of a selection.
The Japanese curtains have little hooks that connect to the curtains differently than our typical curtains. We have a LOT of windows in our house so I am going to have to get curtains for 9 different window sets. Several of those have more than one window and the need to get two curtain panels for that set. To give you an idea on price I bought one package of curtains (two panels in it) for around $60 dollars. I basically spent around $300 on just curtains. Not something I would do in the States! This is just one of those cultural adjustments that I'm having to get used to.
After Ben got back from working for a few hours we went out again and got some groceries and basics. One of those basics was a grill. We were very much looking forward to grilling again!! Today has been a pretty relaxing day with just putting things away and cleaning up the house. Monday will be my first real day of having Ben at work and my being at the house handling things. It is exciting and a bit nerve wracking at the same time!
Wow! Everything done in a day! You're quite the homemaker! Thankful the transition has been so smooth for you both. <3 u!
ReplyDelete