Recently I helped with two different opportunities to volunteer. Sometimes it is a big event and other times it is not as big, but both times I knew that I was helping out in some great ways. The first one was almost a week and a half ago and it was a "Do What Daddy Does Day". I helped with the setup, registration, and the prizes at the end for the kids. It really was a successful day and there were a lot of kids that really got to enjoy some fun activities. Here are some pics from that day.
Brittany and I working the registration table for CAB (Combat Assault Battalion). Both of our husbands work at CAB.
The kids all lined up with their platoons ready for the day of activities (metal detectors, a CFT, riding a Zodiac, etc.)
Ben got to come and have lunch and visit for a while. :)
Brittany and I were working on getting the dog tags set up for the end of the day. Each child received official orders, a certificate of completion and dog tags.
Kids got to try on Ghillie suits and see the different weapons and tactical vehicles used by Marines.
Getting ready for my ride on a Zodiac!!
Getting in the Zodiac.
This was my favorite part of the day because we got to go out on the water and enjoy this activity after the kids had left. :)
The second volunteer opportunity that I had was to help put together some care packages for Marines that are returning from a deployment in Afghanistan. This was really a big deal because they don't get to go 'home', but instead are still overseas from their family and friends. A care package and some homemade goodies should hopefully help them settle in a bit. I'm thankful for anyway that I can help out around here, but especially the opportunity to help those who have given so much for us.
Brittany and I working the registration table for CAB (Combat Assault Battalion). Both of our husbands work at CAB.
The kids all lined up with their platoons ready for the day of activities (metal detectors, a CFT, riding a Zodiac, etc.)
Ben got to come and have lunch and visit for a while. :)
Brittany and I were working on getting the dog tags set up for the end of the day. Each child received official orders, a certificate of completion and dog tags.
Kids got to try on Ghillie suits and see the different weapons and tactical vehicles used by Marines.
Getting ready for my ride on a Zodiac!!
This was my favorite part of the day because we got to go out on the water and enjoy this activity after the kids had left. :)
The second volunteer opportunity that I had was to help put together some care packages for Marines that are returning from a deployment in Afghanistan. This was really a big deal because they don't get to go 'home', but instead are still overseas from their family and friends. A care package and some homemade goodies should hopefully help them settle in a bit. I'm thankful for anyway that I can help out around here, but especially the opportunity to help those who have given so much for us.
Amen to your final sentence! We are so proud of all of our military, but of course, I have a special place in my heart for the Marines! :)
ReplyDeleteSo happy you got to help with both of these special projects. Thanks for the pictures as well as the script...it gives us a little taste of what you are up to over there in beautiful Okinawa!
Hugs, Mom B.