19 October 2012

Driving in Oki

Driving in Okinawa is an adventure of its own. I never really, truly thought through what it would be like to drive on the left side of the road. I never really thought through what it would be like to drive on the right side of the road either. :) It was just natural. Driving on the left side of the road is natural for some as well, but not for me. Well, it is now, but it wasn't before moving here! Am I making any sense??

Ben and I were watching a video the other night and it had a van driving in the States (on the right side of the road). After watching for a few minutes, I commented on how strange it was to see a vehicle drive on the right side of the road. Ben started laughing and said that he was wondering what was wrong with the video! Haha. We are both so integrated now into Japanese driving that it is the 'correct' way of driving for us. Watch out for us when we head back to the States, folks! Dangerous drivers coming your way. :)

Here are some of the interesting aspects of driving in Okinawa.

*Children
Children apparently do not have to buckle up in Japan. Due to this, you will constantly see children jumping around, crawling around and having a grand old time in the car. It is a bit distracting to me...especially when the other day I saw a really young child sitting on a mother's lap while she was driving! Children also have a signal that they use when they want to cross the street here. They raise their hand straight into the air and then they cross the street. That is a signal to drivers that they are going to cross.

*Left (not right!) turn on red
Left turns on red are NOT allowed when you are off base, unless there is a designated turn lane that veers off the intersection; then it is treated like a yield. On base you can make a left turn on red if it is clear to do so.

*Flashers
Otherwise known as "Hazard Lights". These are used super often here on the island! Cars will pull over at the most random times, pop on their flashers and do whatever they needed to do. I have never seen them used so often before! I have started using them more often as well.

*Horn
A car's horn is not used here as it is in the USA. In America it is used to express anger, frustration, alert vehicles to how close they are to you, etc. In Japan it is used very rarely. More for saying 'thank you' after you let someone in ahead of you, etc. You will hear a horn blow and know that most likely it was an American that used it. I have used it a couple of times (once this morning when a car about drove right into me!), but much less than in the States. I am definitely a Chicago girl. :)

*Speed
The speed limit in Japan is all in kilometers, not miles per hour. The normal speed limit on most streets is 50 kph. That is right around 31 mph. The highest speed limit sign that I have seen so far is 80 kph. This is right around 50 mph. So, this is another reason to watch out for us when we come back to the States. We will be driving like senior citizens. :)

Well, I hope this opens your eyes a bit into the life behind the wheel in Japan. It is definitely different than in the States, but we are adjusting pretty well. :)

2 comments:

  1. ohmygoodness, that's funny that the kids just throw their arm up in the air and step out into the street! here I come, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another informative and fun blog! Thanks for filling us in (and warning us about how you'll be driving like Sr. Citizens when you return to the states)! MAYBE the reason the speed limits are slower are because of all the crazy Americans driving in Oki!?

    Elissa, can you imagine if people in downtown Chicago only honked if they were 'thanking' someone for letting them cut in? It would be eerily quiet. Scary thought!

    Thanks for the fun read. Love you so much! Mom B.

    ReplyDelete